Tuesday, October 27, 2009

My first bike - Honda CBR125R

Yes, yes, I know, it's a girl's bike, you don't need to tell me. I did some research before buying my first bike and probably over 80% of people say to go for a 250cc instead. Everyone says the 125cc doesn't have enough power, can only reach about 120km/h (on flat road), and is terrible for going up hills or on freeways.

That's all well and good but Learner riders in NSW are legally limited to 80km/h anyhow and I don't intend to ride it on freeways any time soon. I'll be doing most of my riding on 50-60km/h roads until I get more experience and more confidence so the speed limitations don't really bother me. Also I'm a pretty short guy so I wanted something light and easy to handle to start off with.

I checked out lots of listings before going out to buy. The recommended redbook.com.au price for the 2007 model is $3000 to $3600 for a private sale, although most listings in NSW are $3800 plus so make sure to do some haggling if shopping for one.

I actually bought mine from a dealer. The listing price was $4149 but I brought it down to $3800 with 12 month rego and free delivery. Could have probably got it cheaper buying private but I was happy with this model. It's a 2007 red/black with 6300km on the clock and in mint condition with full service history.










I personally think it's a great looking bike with a nice paint-job. The only negative is the skinny looking tires which make it look like a mountain bike and don't do much for its image. It also has a little storage underneath the rear seat although not much will fit in there besides a disk lock, some gloves and maybe a phone or wallet.

As for the official specifications:
Displacement:
124.70 ccm (7.61 cubic inches)
Engine type:
Single cylinder
Stroke:
4
Power:
13.00 HP (9.5 kW)) @ 10000 RPM
Torque
10.10 Nm (1.0 kgf-m or 7.4 ft.lbs) @ 8000 RPM
Compression:
11.0:1
Bore x stroke:
58.0 x 47.2 mm (2.3 x 1.9 inches)
Fuel system:
Carburettor
Fuel control:
SOHC
Ignition:
Capacitor Discharge (CDI)
Starter:
Electric
Cooling system:
Liquid
Gearbox:
6-speed
Power/weight ratio:
0.1130 HP/kg
Fuel capacity:
10.00 litres (2.64 gallons)
More...


Looking forward to giving her a ride soon!

0 comments:

Post a Comment